Discover a typical Costa Rican dish: Arroz con pollo
Fri, 04/03/2020 - 09:43 -
Whether you are missing that Costa Rican food or looking forward to your next holiday in non-Corona times, tasting arroz con pollo will bring your spirit (back) to Costa Rica in no time!
Literally translated this dish is called rice with chicken. Nothing special about that at first sight but.... not only is it prepared Costa Rican style, the combination of side dishes is original as well. Every traditional Costa Rican restaurant, called sodas, will serve it accompanied with a salad and fries. So make sure to prepare these side dishes as well. As you can see in the picture, avocado is always a good idea, as well as Lizano sauce. However, that sauce is not available in all countries. In case it is not available, it is very important to make the chicken broth just right so it adds all the flavor to the dish. You can of course also use another sauce like Maggi sauce. As far as the salad is concerned you can freestyle. Cut potatoes and make some delicious fries yourself.
Which ingredients do you need for arroz con pollo?
- 2 cups of cooked white rice
- 1 medium red onion (or white), chopped
- 2-3 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 sweet pepper, diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced or chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 chicken breast with bone, cooked and shredded. Boil it with onion, garlic, thyme, celery, salt and pepper. Save the broth.
- As mentionned above, it is really important to get all the flavor from the broth in case you cannot buy Lizano sauce in your country.
- ½ cup of chicken broth
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
All set? Then let’s get started!
Cook the rice in a normal pot or a rice cooker pot.
Cook chicken breast as mentioned above.
While cooking the rice, prepare the veggies.
- Cut onion and celery into small square pieces and add the sweet pepper. Also cut the garlic gloves. Set aside
- Shred carrots and cut cilantro into small pieces. Set aside.
- In a wok or deep frying pan, put some vegetable oil and add garlic. Let that saute a minute and then add celery, pepper and onion.
- Saute until onion is clear and celery is soft.
- Add carrots and saute a few minutes.
- Add cooked shredded chicken. Mix and stir fry about a minute.
- Add cilantro and saute and mix for a minute.
- Add broth.
- Add tomato paste.
- Let it boil until broth is reduced and add rice.
Serve it with the salad and potato fries. Enjoy with a fresh, exotic juice or a cold beer!
Share your smile, go yugenstyle,